Monday, July 02, 2007

The one about the red book


Never make a handmade book by winging it! It turned out okay-but next time I should consult a tutorial on bookbinding beforehand.

In my yahoo group, Club Creative, we did a handmade book swap. I got to make one for
Maria who lives in Germany, likes the color red, loves nature, and knits very beautiful clothes for herself. I had so many ideas for her book. My first attempt flopped, and this is the second try. I was way past the deadline to send by the time I actually started the second version. I owed poor Maria big time, so I pulled out my best papers and used a cover from a very old book! Gee--after I finished it, I wanted it!

The ledger pages covering the inside of the book cover are from 1866. I made two signatures, each with watercolor paper, old lined paper, pretty scrapbook paper by K&Co. and an old paper bag.



12 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Sue said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! :o)

6:09 PM, July 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marilyn....it's just gorgeous! I really love it. Marie is a very lucky lady.

7:14 PM, July 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow---SO beautiful!! She will treasure this book!

7:58 PM, July 02, 2007  
Blogger Tautchia said...

Oh, my heavens!!! This is GORGEOUS!!! I think perhaps se will forgive you for being late. This is great! Of course, being a red lover myself, I am totally enamored with all of it!

10:42 PM, July 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh beautiful, beautiful!! You are amazing, love your work so inspiring you are!! Happy 4th to you.

8:33 AM, July 03, 2007  
Blogger Maria said...

Marilyn, this book was absolutely and more than worth waiting for it. It is so lovely and I can't wait to have it in my hands and sense this beauty. Thank you so much! Please don't worry about being so late. Some things take their time. Greetings from Maria

10:48 AM, July 03, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my! I can SEE how hard it must have been to give this one up!
she will be TICKLED! :-)

11:47 AM, July 03, 2007  
Blogger Sandra said...

argh, this is beautiful ... i think the next time i have to manipulate the partnerlist :):) well done, marilyn!

12:06 PM, July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really beautiful! Worth the wait and extra effort!

btw - I don't think I thanked you for the Vintage Papers Swap - THANK YOU! what a lovely package you sent me!

xox

Melissa

12:08 PM, July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marilyn, that is exquisite! Perhaps one day you'll teach a handmade book class?

8:04 PM, July 03, 2007  
Blogger Babsarella said...

Oh this is TOTALLY GORGEOUS!!! I think the recipient will be THRILLED!!! You certainly look like an expert to me!!

6:34 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Julie Collings said...

what completely amazing books you have been making! love the writing on the inside cover of the red book and how you used such a cool assortment of papers for the pages.
you are a vintage paper girl for sure!
still loving my pack of papers from the swap, dig through them every day. happy me :)
J.

1:16 PM, July 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home